July 26, 2008

What are you?


As an American living in Australia is a little different. Let me explain...My looks are distinctly of Asian features. My speech is American as well as my mannerisms and such. You can say I'm more Westernized but can speak fluently my native language as well as other languages. Here in Sydney it's a diverse place where there's definitely different cultures mixing but one thing that still gets on my nerves. Why do people think I can't speak English???

I've had this happen to me a couple of times by some locals and some foreigners as well. My school is mainly of International students coming from China, India, Malaysia, etc. as well as Aussie students but seems like I'm the only American. With my looks people categorize me as Chinese automatically of course and think my English is either poor to none. Ah still getting on my nerves!!!

I have this one Indian guy come up to me and ask a question about directions. Well since I'm not a local the look on my face is a little confused because 1.) I'm not great with directions 2.) I don't really know where everything is at and 3.) I had a hard time trying to interpret what he was saying with his heavy accent. Well I guess the confused look on my face said it all because he just turned to his friend and said "Oh she's Chinese she doesn't understand what I'm saying".

Ha!...to their surprise this "Chinese girl" speaks and understands perfect English. I tell them "Excuse me but I'm American and I understand English just not with the accent that you have so it's not like you're easy to understand thanks."

Wow the "Chinese girl" has an American accent and isn't completely dumb. Gosh these people just assume one thing and are in for a heavy surprise. Has this happened to anyone else or is it just me?? Or are these type of people just plain old ignorant??


2 comments:

Jerick said...

I kinda feel what you've experienced. I also had a similar experience with an indian. since i was a filipino tourist in singapore in some hotel lobby, he just assumed i didn't speak good english and offered to teach me the language!
i felt kind of pissed and told him blatantly "y'know what, cut the crap. i'm sorry but my english is better than yours and i don't need your services."
i can't blame him either. he was just trying to create a living and i was busy with my psp. i was busy doing my tekken and was talking to a friend in tagalog when he suddenly sat with us.
but don't worry, i've already forgiven him and it has been a good 7 months ago.

T said...

I guess if you have any Asian features at all they automatically think "no English". I guess the look on my face was all that gave it away. I'm not mad at the guy he didn't know any better just tired of it constantly. Maybe I should wear a sign?