July 9, 2008

Speak Chinese

I have a couple of new flatmates now. I thought it would be alright since we're all girls and we're Asian right. Well boy was I WRONG!!!! Don't get me wrong I have no problems with having flatmates and I really can get along with people quite fine.

Here's my problem though...they don't speak English in the house to each other. They speak Chinese all the time. When I mean all the time, it's constantly, all I hear in the house is Chinese all day long. Now I wouldn't have a problem with them speaking their native language because I speak to my family in my native language also, but when I speak to them it's in ENGLISH. They sometimes respond or speak to me in Chinese and expecting me to understand. Yeah the American accent gives it away that I speak and understand fluent Chinese.

I sometimes think that they're secretly talking about me behind my back...well not so much behind my back as to in front of me and me not knowing what the hell is being said. I want to just shout at them "Hey I'm not Chinese so please speak English"!!! Gosh I speak 4 languages and I can't pick up Chinese in 2 weeks now. A little English does help me understand or not even English just use hand signals if need be.

Do anyone know any kind of Chinese to prepare me??? I want to be able to pick up little bits...a word here or there...just to see if my flatmates are talking about me or not. If they are give me some phrases or words in Chinese so that I can retaliate...HA!!!


No comments: