February 29, 2008

Lets Not Hate

There is this story coming out of Oxnard, California that is sending shockwaves throughout the US. A 15 year old boy, Lawrence King had asked a classmate that was a boy to be his Valentine. Lawrence King was killed by a shot to the head by one of his classmates. This is a junior high school that this happened at.

Personally I am digusted that this has happened to such a young boy. Why should he be killed for being who he is? Are we that ignorant in 2008 that we can't open our minds to different things? Are we that closed-minded that we can't see past preferences and get to the heart of the person?

People should be able to express themselves without being scared that there will be consequences. Gays, Bis, Lesbians, Transexuals should be able to be as open about their feelings, their relationships as we heterosexuals. They are just as we are if we take the time to get to know them. Some of them like the same things we do, they're fun to be around, and they can relate to the same things that we relate to. They are not aliens what so ever. It is not contagious people.

This is such a sensitive subject for me. I have family members that are gay and transexuals. Some of my closest friends are gays and I would not trade them for anything. I take such offense when I hear someone saying something so ignorant about gays, lesbians, bis and transexuals. I am not trying to preach my beliefs on anyone, but does it have to come to violence? I think people should just leave them alone, let them be themselves as they let us be ourselves.

It is not what we look like, it is not our relationships, it is not our careers, it is not our social status, it is not the company we keep, it is not how we interact, it is not who we love that makes us who we are but it is what is in our hearts that should count.

3 comments:

Jake said...

This is so disturbing. Indiscriminate shooting/gun firing is prevalent in the U.S. When I visited last year, another high shooting was all over the news. What's happening to the American society?

T said...

Hey Jake I have no idea what's going on with American society either, seems like its another shooting all the time on the news. It's nice to hear from you hun.

Brent a.k.a. yourkidatheart said...

I was about to just gasp and say, "Oh my God! A 15-yr-old shot just because he's being true to himself!" but then I remembered the other shooting sprees in other schools. It's one heck of a society it's turning itself into if the communities continue to mold their youth into what they are now... It's... simply horrifying. These student shootings in US schools...