July 3, 2008

Lions, Tigers, Bears...Baby Showers

I had gotten a baby shower invite from one of my co-workers a couple of weeks back and I just threw it on my desk (to be buried with the pile of garbage that's already there). Well I had forgotten all about it til a co-worker asked if I was going to attend and what I was going to get this person's new bundle of joy.

I'm not the type of person to get all giddy about going to a baby shower. It only brings up the question about when I'm going to have one on the way. If you've read my earlier post about marriage you'll see why I'm in no hurry on this part either. Don't get me wrong I'm all for babies but what is it that baby showers bring out in people? They go gaga over onesies, pacifiers, diapers & so forth. It's all cute but nothing like a LV handbag...ha!

Well this upcoming baby shower has got me thinking of other baby showers that I've been to for friends. My question is "How many baby showers is one person allowed to have"?

The friends that have invited me to their showers in the past has had more than one shower. Are you allowed one shower per person? Or is it a shower for every kid you have? Shouldn't there be a limit? If I counted all the showers I've been to it won't even come close to when and if I should have a kid. I think I spend more money on other people's showers than anything else. These people are like baby making machines.

For instance a friend of mine has had one kid every 2 years and she now has 4 kids. For every one of her kids she's had a shower. Wouldn't you get what you wanted during the first 2 showers?

My co-worker told me that "normally" a person is suppose to have ONLY one baby shower and ONLY for their first kid. Can I get this in writing or something? This needs to be distributed to my friends that are popping out babies and having showers left and right.

We single non-parent people should be allowed showers and able to register for things. Lets register for wine, wine glasses, or lingerie if possible. Wouldn't that be nice for us to do that? We can only dream.

What is the baby shower protocal?

Photo Credit: cutest-baby-shower-ideas.com
formomsandkids.com
parentweekly.com


1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I've always heard that its okay to have another shower if its been a long time (say over 5yrs) or the baby is a different sex from the first. Personally my sister just had her second baby and I threw her a "Sprinkle Shower". Basically a small baby shower, celebrating the future baby. I made sure everyone knew that gifts were not expected, and the gifts that were brought were not opened as part of the shower.